You can register for the GTD Ride and set up your personal page for on line donations on FirstGiving (FG) at the same time. These instructions are for both new riders and past year’s riders. It may seem a bit complicated, but it’s really quick and easy to do. If you need any help with this, please contact Bob Nassau at email@example.com
1. Go to: the GTD Home Page on FirstGiving. Click the green Join Now button.
2. In the small box, under Quantity: Select “1” Click the green Register button.
3. Next Page: If you don’t have a FirstGiving account, fill out the demographic information and choose a password. When finished, click “Next” and you’ll move to the next page.
*If you rode with us in the past and had a FirstGiving page, click the box with the green FG icon. Then type in the email address and password you used last time. Then click Login. Then you’ll move onto the next page on the FG registration form.
4. Next Page: You have the option to join an existing team, create a new team or not join a team at this time. Then click the green “Next” button. (Contact Bob at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions about Teams)
5. All riders should answer the questions on the next page of the registration form:
Click that you are registering “Myself”
Ignore the next line: “Type” (of participant)
Write in the number of the cell phone you plan to carry on the Ride. If you won’t have a cell phone on the Ride, type “None” in that box
Click the arrow to choose a T shirt size, or “No thanks” if you don’t want a T shirt
Type in the route you plan to ride, this can be changed up to the day of the Ride
List the name of the person who is your emergency contact with their phone number
Click the waiver box, Then Click “Next” You’ve just registered for the Ride but now you should finish creating your personal FG page.
6. On the next page, you can check or edit your registration data and start to create your personal fundraising page.
Next Step: Review your personal FG page: I think its best at this point to finish creating your FG page, then SAVE what you’ve done and come back later to edit and personalize your page. Don’t worry about the image or Your Story at this point. You can personalize the image and story and the rest of your page later.
Three simple things you can do now or later:
*You can choose a different title for your fundraising page
*Set a goal for yourself: Put an amount in the “How much do you plan to raise” box, we suggest $500 or $1000, it can always be changed. If you’ve raised more than that in the past, put in the amount you want to try to raise this year.
*Donation: It’s a good idea to make the first donation to your FG page. Your personal donation to your page will “start the wheels rolling.” Think of it as your Registration Fee. We suggest you donate $50-$100 or more, but the amount is totally up to you. You can donate now or later but do it before you send out your fundraising appeals.
Then, you have the option of registering without setting up a personal fundraising page. We suggest that all riders create a personal fundraising page since many donors prefer to donate online rather than by mailing in a check.
Click the “Next” button at the bottom of the page. Next page, Click “Submit” to finish creating your FG page!
On the next page, you’ll see the web address for your FG page. Click the URL to view your page as it is now. (FG will send you a confirmation email. Make sure you put the URL they email to you in your fundraising email to lead donors to your FG page.)
Review your FG page: It will have this year’s ride photo at the top, FG’s generic text, a Club photo and a link to a short video about the Club on the right. You can take a break now, and edit your FG page later. Bookmark the URL for your FG page that FG emails to you.
TO EDIT YOUR PAGE NOW OR LATER:
Go to your FG page, Click “YOUR ACCOUNT” in the black bar at the very top of your page, then sign in with your email address and password. Next Page, “Your Fundraising” Click “edit” to edit your page. Past riders should make sure they click “edit” for this year’s ride. Next page: Under “Manage your Page” choose “Edit your story”
Now you’re in the editing mode and can make changes to your page. VERY IMPORTANT: WHEN YOU’RE FINISHED EDITING, MAKE SURE YOU CLICK SAVE AND CONTINUE AT THE TOP OR BOTTOM OF THE PAGE TO SAVE ALL YOUR CHANGES:
1. Page Name: Your page is titled with the name you used to register. If it’s not what you want to title your page, you can change it, use your nickname, whatever.
2. Display Date: should say: “Event Date”, leave it that way.
3. Training buddies: If you wish, you can list friends you will be training and riding with
4. Set a Fundraising Goal: I suggest $500-$1000, or a goal based on the amount you raised in last year’s Ride. Your goal can always be changed.
5. Story: Here you can say why you are doing the Ride, why you want to support the Club, and let people know how they can donate to support you by check or on line. Remember, donors will get to this page after reading your appeal letter or email. Don’t make this story too long; you can focus on how people can donate to support you. You can use some of the text from your email appeal. Create your text as a document, then copy/paste it into the story box.
Be sure to tell people they can donate on line OR by writing a check to Boys & Girls Club, with “The Ride” and your name in the memo line and mailing it to Boys & Girls Club, 17 Flat St., Brattleboro, VT 05301. Donating by check saves the Club the internet processing fee.
Go to: the GTD Home Page on FirstGiving to view other rider’s FG pages. The link to the other rider’s page is at the bottom of that page.
Past riders: Go to your previous FG page, copy/paste the story text into a document, edit it as you wish, then copy/paste the edited version into the Story box of this year’s page.
6. Donations: Leave the 4 boxes checked. (Donors can still choose to be anonymous on your FG page when they make a donation).
7. Thank you message: FG will send this generic message to all who donate on your FG page. You can edit and personalize this if you wish. (It’s important to also have a simple, personal “thank you” email to send to donors when you are notified, either by the Club or by FG that a donation has been made.)
7. Check the “Confirmation” box to be notified immediately when someone donates.
8. To personalize the Image on your page: Use any image of you, bicycling or not. Have the image you want to use on your Desktop.
Under the image of the Club kids, Click “Change this image”.
Then click: “Upload your own image”
Then click: “Choose file”
Select the image that you want to use from your Desktop, then click: “Choose”
Then click: “Upload” and when you see the image, click that you are “happy with the image”. You’ve done it! (You can also add a short caption below the image.)
*Very Important!! You must always click “Save and Continue” to save your changes when you are finished editing. You can always re-edit by following the “sign in” instructions above.
9. When you’ve edited the main part of your page, click “Save and Continue”. On the next page, click “View Live”, just below your name, to view your edited page. Click “Sign In” again to get back to the editing mode.
10. Profile: You can edit your Profile, the section at the top right corner of your page. Click “Your Account,”Sign in, click “edit” for this year’s FG page, then click “edit your story” then Click “Profile’” in the blue bar at the top of your page. You can add the same image or another one and have a short caption for the image. Click “Change” to change the image just like you did before. Click “Update” to save your image change. You’ll see a message that your account has been changed.
Past riders will have the same profile image and text as last year. Change it if you wish.
10. To see your edited page: Click on “Home” then click on your page, then click on “View Live” at the top left of the next page. To do more editing, you have to sign in again.
If you have questions or problems with your FG page, don’t hesitate to contact Bob Nassau at email@example.com. You can also call FG Help at: 617-542-0010. We’ve talked to people at FG several times over the years and they’ve all been very helpful.