To Register for the GTD and Set Up and Edit Your Personal FirstGiving Page 2013:
You can register for the GTD Ride and set up your personal page for on line donations on FirstGiving (FG) at the same time. These instructions are for both new riders and last year’s riders. It may seem a bit complicated, but it’s really quick and easy to do. If you need any help with this, please contact Bob Nassau at email@example.com or 387-5740.
1. Go to: http://www.firstgiving.com/bgcbrattleboro/2013 Click the Register button.
2. In the small box: Select “1 participant” Click the green Register button again.
3. Next Page: If you don’t have a FirstGiving account, fill out the demographic information and choose a password. When finished, click “Next” and you’ll move to the next page.
*If you rode with us last year and had a FirstGiving page, just type in your email address then, in the next box type last year’s password, then you’ll move onto the next page on FG registration form.
4. All riders should answer the questions on the next page of the registration form:
Click that you are registering “Myself”
Ignore the next line: “Type of participant”
Type in the number of the cell phone you plan to carry on the Ride. If you won’t have a cell phone on the Ride, type “None” in that box
List the name of the person who is your emergency contact with their phone number
Click the arrow to choose a T shirt size, or “No thanks” if you don’t want a T shirt
Click the waiver box
Then Click “Next” You’ve just registered for the Ride but now you have to finish creating your personal FG page.
Next Step: Review your personal FG page: I think its best at this point to finish creating your FG page, then SAVE what you’ve done and come back later to edit and personalize your page. Don’t worry about the image or Your Story at this point. You can personalize the image and story and the rest of your page later.
Two simple things you can do now or later:
*Set a goal for yourself: Put an amount in the “How much do you plan to raise” box, I suggest $500 or $1000, it can always be changed. If you raised more than that last year, put in an amount you want to try to raise this year.
*Donation: It’s a good idea to make a personal donation to your page, to “start the wheels rolling.” That’s totally up to you. You can do that now or at any time.
After you do or do not set a goal or make a donation, Click the “Next” button at the bottom of the page. Next page, Click “Submit” to finish creating your FG page!
On the next page, you’ll see the web address for your FG page. Click the URL to view your page as it is now. (FG will send you a confirmation email. Make sure you put the URL they email to you in your fundraising email to lead donors to your FG page.)
Review your FG page: It will have the Club photo at the top, their generic FG text, generic photo and a link to a short video about the Club. You can take a break now, and edit your FG page later. Bookmark the URL for your FG page that FG emails to you.
To edit your page later: Go to your FG page, Click “Sign in” in the bar at the very top of your page, then sign in with your email address and password. Next Page, “Your Fundraising” Click “edit” to edit your page. Next page: Under “Manage your Page” choose “Edit your story”
Now you’re in the editing mode and can make changes to your page. VERY IMPORTANT: WHEN YOU’RE FINISHED EDITING, MAKE SURE YOU CLICK SAVE AND CONTINUE AT THE TOP OR BOTTOM OF THE PAGE TO SAVE ALL YOUR CHANGES:
1. Page Name: Your page is titled with the name you used to register. If it’s not what you want to title your page, you can change it, use your nickname, whatever.
2. Display Date: should say: “Event Date”, leave it that way.
3. Set a Fundraising Goal: I suggest $500-$1000, or a goal based on the amount you raised in last year’s Ride. Your goal can always be changed.
4. Story: Here you can say why you are doing the Ride, why you want to support the Club, and let people know how they can donate to support you by check or on line. Remember, donors will get to this page after reading your appeal letter or email. Don’t make this story too long; you can focus on how people can donate to support you. You can use some of the text from your email appeal. Create your text as a document, then copy/paste it into the story box.
Be sure to tell people they can donate on line OR by writing a check to Boys & Girls Club, with “The Ride” and your name in the memo line and mailing it to Boys & Girls Club, 17 Flat St., Brattleboro, VT 05301. Donating by check saves the club the internet processing fee.
Go to: https://www.firstgiving.com/bgcbrattleboro/2013 to view other rider’s FG pages. The link to the rider’s page is at the bottom of that page.
Past riders: Go to last year’s FG page, copy/paste the story text into a document, edit it, then copy/paste the edited version into the Story box of this year’s page.
5. Donations: Leave the 4 boxes checked. (Donors can still choose to be anonymous on your FG page when they make a donation).
6. Thank you message: FG will send this generic message to all who donate on your FG page. You can edit and personalize this if you wish. (It’s a good idea to also have a simple, personal “thank you” email to send to donors when you are notified a donation has been made.)
7. Check the “Confirmation” box to be notified immediately when someone donates.
8. To personalize the Image on your page: Use any image of you, bicycling or not. Have the image you want to use on your Desktop.
Click on “Change this image”
Then click: “Upload your own image”
Then click: “Choose file”
Select the image that you want to use from your Desktop, then click: “Choose”
Then click: “Upload” and when you see the image, click that you are “happy with the image”. You’ve done it! (You can also add a short caption below the image.)
*Very Important!! You must always click “Save and Continue” to save your changes when you are finished editing. You can always re-edit by following the “sign in” instructions above.
9. When you’ve edited the main part of your page, click “Save and Continue”. On the next page, click View Live, just below your name, to view your edited page. Click “Sign In” again to get back to the editing mode.
10. Profile: You can edit your Profile, the section at the top right corner of your page. Sign in, click “edit your story” then Click “Profile’” in the bar at the top of your page. You can add the same image or another one and have a short caption for the image. Click “Change” to change the image just like you did before. Click “Update” to save your image change. You’ll see a message that your account has been changed.
Past riders will have the same profile image and text as last year. Change it if you wish.
11. To see your edited page: Click on “Home” then click on your page, then click on “View Live” at the top left of the next page. To do more editing, you have to sign in again.
If you have questions or problems with your FG page, don’t hesitate to contact Bob Nassau at firstname.lastname@example.org or 387-5740. You can also call FG Help at: 617-542-0010. I’ve talked to Camille at FG several times over the years and she’s been very helpful.